Great Gadget Gifts for Life on the Go
(Family Features) Technology is always high on holiday gift lists, and this year is no different. Recent trends in mobile phones, an ever-growing range of tablet and e-reader price points and styles, and fashionable accessories mean you have more great options than ever.
- Thanks to some of the hottest handsets coming to no-contract plans, smartphones are truly giftable for the first time. Get the ultimate in flexibility with no long-term commitment from providers like RadioShack No-Contract Wireless, Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile. Time to upgrade or on an existing contract? Consider a gift card, or look for the best deals at a retailer that offers top contract carriers.
- For the video or book lover on your list, tablets and e-readers come in many brands, sizes and price points to meet their needs and manage your holiday budget. They are very portable and are a great way to make waiting in line or at the doctor fly by much faster. Consider buying a device on the same operating system as the recipient's smartphone so app purchases will go twice as far. Plus, some people are loyal to one camp or another and will value your gift more if you show you know that.
- Accessorize your gadget purchases. The right phone, tablet or e-reader case shows recipients you know their style and protects their present. Speaking of extending the life of these devices, consider a warranty plan - especially for kids or adults whose work or leisure activities might put that gifted gadget at risk.
- For the music lover, headphones are a great choice. Wireless headphones use Bluetooth technology and operate on batteries for a hands-free experience. If choosing wired headphones, look for a pair with a strong cord or one that can be replaced if damaged. For a combination of high-fashion and high-function, look for hot headphones like Beats by Dr. Dre.
- For entertaining a crowd, check out compact options such as the AUVIO Bluetooth Portable Speaker. The speaker has great sound, and a compact size make it easy to enjoy music with friends no matter where you are.
- Don't forget the power. For battery-operated gifts, make sure to pick up the right batteries. For rechargeable tech gifts, power them up with Enercell Portable Power Banks, car chargers, or even a phone-charging case.
If you're a little unsure about choosing the right tech for everyone on your list, nothing beats turning to experts like the folks at RadioShack for help. Relying on gadget gurus and even getting a hands-on demo help ensure your present is just the right fit - unlike that sweater Aunt Margaret gave you last year.
For more ideas, check out www.radioshack.com, or visit the location in your neighborhood.
Photo courtesy of Getty Images